Raczkowski Law
(248) 723-9940

Conservators and Guardians

Conservators and Guardians

Appointing Conservators and Guardians

While we all hope to be able to handle every aspect of our lives with full autonomy, life’s circumstances can sometimes make that difficult or impossible. When parents pass away without lining up a guardian for their young children, or an older person loses the ability to make sound judgments due to illness, the court may appoint a conservator and/or guardian to help make decisions in the best interest of those in their care. 

What Is a Conservator? 

The court appoints a conservator to manage assets and handle every financial decision for a person who cannot make responsible decisions for himself or herself due to injury, illness, or disability. In some cases, the conservator may also serve as a guardian. 

Deciding that a loved one needs a conservator and/or guardian is a sensitive issue that is best handled with the help of a compassionate and competent attorney. After years of handling a wide range of conservator and guardian issues, Annette understands what must be done to ensure the best possible outcome for your loved one. Sometimes, family members come to her with a conservator or guardian in mind, and other times, she serves that role. So, whether you know exactly what is in your loved one’s best interest, or you’re looking for guidance you can trust, Annette can help make the entire process run as smoothly as possible. Contact her today to schedule a complimentary consultation!

What Is a Guardian?

The court appoints a guardian to make healthcare, lifestyle, and other non-monetary decisions for a person who cannot make decisions for him or herself, often because of injury, illness, disability, or age. Guardians can be appointed for both adults and children. Adult guardianships are often requested when relatives and friends begin to notice a loved one’s strange or atypical behavior and decision making. Child guardianships typically arise after one or both of a child’s parents pass away or are otherwise unavailable to provide adequate care.